Featured Project: Wood Conservation
Fairmount Park Commission
Designed and engineered by Frederick Graff in 1812 the Water Works was one of the most visited sites in North America during the 19th century. It ceased pumping water in 1909 and shortly after this the classically designed structures were used to house an aquarium before closing in the 1960’s. The Water Works complex was sporadically used until a major and ongoing restoration effort of the buildings and gardens began at the end of the 20th century.
Since 2006, the Trust has been responsible for maintaining the restored wood work of the seven structures on the site. Trust conservators have completed projects ranging from the rebuilding of many of the major wooden elements of the cupola that sits atop the care-takers house to the restoration of the giant columns that form the Grand Pavilion. Regular maintenance also includes replacing deteriorated sills, doors moldings and baseboard of the entrance house.
Map and Directions
View Larger Map