Featured Project: Research & Documentation
West Fairmount Park
Project Management, 2006-2008
Located in the northern end of West Fairmount Park, Chamounix Mansion was constructed by Geo. Plumstead in 1802 and enlarged in the 1850’s by Topliff Johnson. It has been used as an international youth hostel since 1964.
The building had suffered as a result of deferred maintenance and the normal deterioration that follows. In 2006, the Fairmount Park Trust was instrumental in obtaining grant money that was used toward the restoration of all of the sash, jambs, shutters and porches. While managing this multi-faceted work internally, the Trust also collected proposal information to help select and oversee the replacement of the metal roof. After the woodwork was completed, the Trust drew up and managed the painting contract that included of all of the trim and porches.
Map and Directions
View Larger Map